Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Battle of the Bottle...Sophie- 1-Mom- 0

Sophie hates milk. H- A -T-E-S it. Passionately. The doctor suggested at our last appointment that we start trying to switch her over from formula to milk, and we have tried everything. Warm milk, cold milk, milk and formula, chocolate milk, milk with sugar, whole milk, 2% milk, skim milk, milk at night, milk in a bottle, milk in a sippy cup, milk from a straw. She is not fooled, she knows she hates it and wants us to know too. So eventually we stopped trying so much- I mean you can only pour so much money milk down the drain before you lose heart. But tonight, after more encouragement from the doctor, I tried again.

Which is why I am still up and not in bed. Sophie is not going for it. Not. At. All. First I tried the whole milk warm and straight, which led to much wailing and gnashing of two little teeth. So then after trying a while I caved and went for the formula/milk mixture. More gnashing. Finally I just decided that tomorrow is another night- a night where DAD is home to try instead of at work, oblivious to the wailing and gnashing and frustration. So tonight formula (and Sophie) triumphs. But this means war. Bring it.

By the way, my Sophie once again was way off the charts for height. She isn't even a percentile- that is how huge she is. He weight was more normal- 75%. She's a tall baby! (Sammy, when you get home next, she'll probably be able to bench press you!)

4 comments:

Perri said...

AND Strawberry milk - I tried that too. It made a very pretty pattern as it drooled over her chins.

The Snipes said...

That's tough. Ethan didn't like it either. I think I tried to switch him starting w/the morning time first? I put it in a sippy cup with his breakfast. And he refused it for about 5 or 6 days....and I didn't give him anything else. (Later in the day I did obviously - just not at breakfast). Then he gave in. Once he did I gave it to him at breakfast & lunch (which he refused a few days), etc....

But each kid is so different!! At least you know she's healthy!!!!

Jodi said...

I was going to say you forgot Strawberry Milk but your Mom fixed that one.

Becca hated milk with a passion too. I just started puttting a small amount in her cereal every morning. It was enough to soften up her cereal and get her used to the taste of milk. I gave her a glass of milk in a sippy cup with her cereal but she wouldn't drink it for the longest time. I think it took us about 6 months of doing it this way before she would willingly drink milk. Now she is 11 and she hates milk unless it is chocolate. I guess some things never change.

Can you give Sophie soy milk? It is much sweeter than cow's milk. Especially the chocolate stuff. I am out of the baby loop so I don't know if she can have that as a substitute or not.

When Mr. Bill was one the doctor told me that foods are fortified enough now that it doesn't really matter if they drink milk in large quantities. I never pushed the issue with him since it seemed to give him a stomach ache. He just drank water most of the time. And he is now 5 and doing fine. I know each doctor is different on his/her opinion of the milk issue though.

Most of all GOOD LUCK! I remember those struggles too well. And as I am always muttering to myself, "This too shall pass...." :)

Patricia said...

gosh i can't imagine disliking milk. i love the stuff and it's killin me that it's almost five dollars a gallon!