Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Trinkets and Treasures

Our visit with all my grandparents went very well over the past weekend. We went to see my Nana and Pappaw first. They live out in the middle of nowhere in an old farmhouse. Sophie adores Pappaw- which is funny because he doesn't much play with her, he just talks to her and they sing songs that he made up and she checks on him when he sleeps. She doesn't see him very often, but it doesn't seem to matter. She has wandered around saying "Pappaw" all week. She pays more attention to him than she does to me or Jacob even. He is just number one in her book.

So while she was enthralled with Pappaw, Jacob and I went through their barns on what I lovingly call a "treasure hunt". Jacob calls it "humoring my obsession". Nana and Papaw sell/sold antiques for a long time. The residual antiques are sitting in two old barns. They are a mess. The barns are over run with about 40 barn cats (each with an individual name) that wreck everything. The downside to this is that the barns are a disaster area. The upside is that every time we go- something new is uncovered. All of Pappaw and Nana's kids think the barns should just be torched- but I love them. I could go through them for hours and hours and never get bored. There is so much history- so many trinkets- so many dishes.
This time I came out of the barns with some old Fiesta plates, a silver, tarnished Victorian teapot, a blue Corning ware sort of dish, an old, fat rolling pin and an old egg beater. OH- and some old tin kitchen canisters with a matching cake cover. It even says "CAKE" on it, just is case I forget. How handy is that? Jacob always wants to know where I am going to put my treasures- and I always just tell him not to worry- I'll find someplace. Then he usually rolls his eyes and helps me haul all my new stuff to the car.

But the treasures were not over- not by far. We went to visit my Grandmama and Grandpa Jim after that. They unfortunately got a grumpy Sophie- it turns out her belly was hurting her, but I didn't know that until later that night when she puked all over Heidi's pack and play. Sorry Heidi. But the visit was still very pleasant. Grandmama and I went looking for shoes for Sophie, to no avail, while the menfolk went back to the house to play pool. We sat around and talked, they took us out for pizza, which is never a bad thing, and we generally just enjoyed each other's company. But then- oh but then- I discovered she had what my heart had sinfully lusted after for so many years. She had.... that's right.... (begin Hallelujah Chorus)


A Magic Bullet.

That she never used.

With all the accessory gadgets.

Be still my heart.



So she said I could have it! It's in my kitchen RIGHT NOW waiting for me to get off bed rest and go make a smoothie for fun. Or some salsa. Or some broccoli soup. Or anything my little food processed heart could desire. I'm so excited it's borderline ridiculous. I'm gonna let ya'll know how this goes- but I can tell you it's only going to take 3 seconds and PRESTO- it's done. Just like the commercial!

2 comments:

Tonya said...

oooooh, you are gonna LOVE it
Try OJ, berries and bananas with ice. mmmmm

Patricia said...

oh dear. a magic bullet. you're going to whip up a mini omlette aren't you? or a mini quiche. or a mini smoothie.

i'll bet the words set it and forget it! really turn you on, huh?